The Gasparilla International Film Festival (GIFF) is a cultural arts institution that inspires, educates and entertains through its annual celebration of film, year-round events, community outreach and social awareness initiatives, while also supporting and cultivating the film industry of Tampa Bay and Florida and making an economic impact on our region.
First launched in the summer of 2006, GIFF has grown into an entertaining and educational year-round entity in Tampa Bay. Well-known for its annual film festival, GIFF is operated by the 501 (c)(3) non-profit Tampa film Institute and continually upholds its mission to provide year-long support for film screening, production, and education throughout the Tampa Bay region.
We would like to congratulate our 2013 AWARD WINNERS:
Rising Star Award: Blake Berris
Career Achievement Award: Thomas Jane
Florida Producer of the Year: Randall Emmett
2013 Screenplay contest winner: “Darby Petty and The Lost Treasure of the Iverni” by DC Sayre and WG Zahner of Los Angeles, CA.
GIFF 2013 Audience Award Winners:
Young Filmmaker- John Kirk, Not to Scale
College Showcase- William J. Stribling, Beyond Belief
Narrative Short- Ante Novakovic, The Fix
Best Florida Production- Karl Wilson, Breaking Up with Rosie
Documentary- Patrick Burke, Poster Boy’s or The Art of Mobile Recording
Narrative- Lawrence Feeney, Pharmboy
Grand Jury Award Winners:
Young Filmmaker- Dangerous Daze, Byron Leon
Special Jury Award for Filmmaking- Against the Grain, Elias Mael
Special Jury Award for Acting- Gina Rodriguez, Filly Brown
Narrative Short- Unburden, Andrew Young
Documentary- GLOW: The Story of the Glorious Ladies of Wrestling, Brett Whitcomb
Narrative- Filly Brown, Youssef Delara & Michael Olmos
Congratulations to our winners and thank you to all that participated.
2013 FESTIVAL RECAP!
Jannette Sepwa – IMDb
Jannette Sepwa a local actress in St. Petersburg FL, known for her role in the recent release of the TV series “Zombieland”, becomes the story maker and the story teller. Inspired by the writers and actors she met at the 2013 Gasparilla Film Festival, Jannette decided, “sometimes you need to make your own opportunities”. The result…a quirky dark comedy with a feel good message. With the help of her friends, local industry professionals and local St. Petersburg businesses, this dream is becoming a reality. Set to film in June 2013, the film “..and a bag of chips!”…promises to be the result of what happens when passion, community and heart come together! See Jannette Sepwa – IMDb
Director: Sabyn Mayfiled
Executive Producer: Pedro Anaya Perez
Producers: Mary Rachel Dudley, Mattox Garnder
Associate Producers: Erik Lunseth, Joe Restaino
COLIN FARRELL Drops in at Gasparilla Film Festival!
People are starting to believe that anything can happen at The Gasparilla International Film Festival. GIFF reached the halfway point of its 7th edition with seemingly an unexpected spark of star power showing up in Tampa, Florida: Colin Farrell.
But the reality of the situation…it wasn’t a complete shock. Just a well orchestrated treat. “It really was a planned visit, but a surprise to the Tampa community,” says GIFF President Joe Restaino.
In support of his friend (who also serves as Farrell’s executive assistant), the actor walked side-by-side with Ante Novakovic, director and co-writer of “The Fix.” And while Farrell did pose for a few pictures outside of… Read More
GIFF in the News!
Jerry Ferrara Seizes An ‘Empire’.
- The Tampa Theatre will host the red carpet world premiere of crime drama ‘Empire State’ on March 19, 2013. The movie will open The Gasparilla International Film Festival. Director Dito Montiel, and stars Dwayne Johnson, Liam Hemsworth, Emma Roberts & Jerry Ferrara are invited to attend with other invited guests. Followup -> The historic Tampa Theatre was jam packed with attendees, filmmakers and celebs. The film’s red carpet guest included director Dito Monteil, producer Randall Emmett and co-star Michael Angarano. Read the entire article at Examiner.com.
- March 23 marks the 10th Anniversary of ‘The Punisher’ being filmed in Tampa with star Thomas Jane attending the screening and receiving the International Career Achievement Award following the screening. ETonline – Thomas Jane: I’ve Never Fit the Hollywood Mold talks to Jane about his Achievement Award and The Punisher. Read the entire interview at ETonline.
- The official 2013 GIFF Painting was created by internationally renowned artist and abstract expressionist Timothy Raines.
- GIFF is the proud recipient of Creative Loafing’s 2012 “Best Film Festival” and “Best Rooftop Conversion” Awards.
- Talented artists and designers were called to create original brand designs for the 7th annual Gasparilla International Film Festival using the theme “Rockabilly/Lucky 7′s”.
- USF English Professor Phillip Sipiora helps his students get involved in feature films, both in front of and behind the camera.
- Calling Kids and Teens ages 6-18 who are interested in showbiz…ICASTING KIDS, with Janette Sepwa, offers ongoing monthly acting classes beginning January 19, 2013. Discount for GIFF members.
- Producer, writer and actor Ryan O’Nan, GIFF’s Rising Star, views Tampa community to be so excited by film and hungry for projects. “Chu and Blossom” featured film wraps up production September 2012.
…at the end of the day, Get Your Popcorn Out!
We welcome you to the 7th Annual Gasparila International Film Festival. 2012 proved to be an incredible year for GIFF as we proudly took our place among proven, recognizable and internationally renowned festivals in the independent film circuit.
Celebrating the best independent filmmakers from around the world, each March, GIFF pivots Tampa deep into the “City of the Arts” movement that runs deeply through the cultural and historical veins of our beloved city. We applaud the talent, tireless effort and dedication of our leadership, volunteers, sponsors, members and visionaries that continues to energize Tampa’s Film Festival and provide our community the unforgettable, chaotic and extraordinary celebration of FILM.
keep GIFF going!
The planet does not need more successful people, the planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers.
STORYTELLERS and lovers of all kinds.